Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Irony behind Facebook

I will never forget when I first learned about Facebook. I was a sophomore in High School and the hot girl sitting next to me in Chemistry told me to get a Facebook. Since then my grades have tanked, my parties have been way to big and my life has been way to public. Seriously what is the point to Facebook? A place for college students to post pictures of themselves completed hammered from Friday night? Is Facebook not just a cheaper version of email. How many times have you come home from class or work and checked your email and then Facebook, because people communicate just as much important stuff on Facebook. Do not get me wrong, I love Facebook, I have 100's of friends over seas that I talk with through Facebook. It is easier. It is a great way to keep a conversation going with old friends. And I love seeing pictures from friends Weddings or their travels. But let us get to the Irony behind Facebook.

Facebook completely eliminates face to face conversation. People meet over Facebook all the time and then get drunk 2 nights later and hook up. I would not be surprised to see a wall post that says "Hey, want to grab dinner and movie Thursday night?" Seriously guys, we no longer have the balls to ask someone out in person. Facebook makes asking people out AND getting rejected easier. If you get rejected on Facebook it is almost like you never got rejected at all, I mean you can just tell your friends that it was over Facebook so it doesn't count. Also, it is in no way what-so-ever a book. It is a giant public web blog. Hell they should change the name from Facebook to Pictureblog. I mean that is much more realistic.

I also have no need to know that Jane Doe got a 4.0 this semester. YAY FOR YOU! How does that work? Let me check my grades..."I GOT A 4.0! I have to update my status now so everyone can tell me how awesome I am." Seriously how much more selfish can you be. Or better yes, when Nick Cool changes his status to read "Lunch with dad, then gym, then smoothie king, then dinner with mom." Cool. I now know your life. WHY THE FUCK DO I CARE! How is my life better because you are going to the gym? It is not.

I think that instead of logging on to Facebook, people should go to www.cnn.com or something that is productive and will actually help you if you are ever able to find someone dumb enough to go a date with you. Bombs are falling in Israel, the World Cup is helping South Africa in more ways than soccer, Haiti is still recovering from a horrible disaster, but it is more important to see if that hot girl you met this weekend posted her pictures on Facebook. Do not get me wrong, Facebook is an amazing tool if used correctly, but it is also the beginning of the end of intelligence if it is used the way we use it now.

Now, if you will excuse me I must finish uploading my picture from my trip to Israel to Facebook. And no, I am not kidding, I promised my friends I would. Check them out.

1 comment:

  1. randomly came across this. glad I read it, I completely agree

    ReplyDelete